Underwriting Management Technician
Reporting to: Senior Underwriting Management Technician
IQUW is a speciality (re)insurer at Lloyd’s (Syndicate 1856) underwriting a diverse range of Property, Commercial and Speciality (re)insurance products from Cargo and Marine to Political Violence, Terror and War. We combine data, intelligent automation and human expertise to make smart decisions, fast.
ERS is the UK's largest specialist motor insurer with an A+ rating. We recognise that for some, motor insurance is more than just a must-have; it's a way of taking care of what stands at the heart of their passion or livelihood. For those people, standard insurance isn't enough. That's why we work exclusively with motor insurance brokers to help get under the skin of the most difficult insurance risks, helping build products to meet their customer’s needs.
- The purpose of this role is to support the oversight of IQUW’s underwriting management functions and Underwriting Governance.
- Monitor adherence to key underwriting operational metrics, underwriting SLA’s, exception reporting, Lloyd’s reporting mandates, monitoring late data entry and underwriting authorities.
- Support the review of policies and procedures ensuring IQUW has the appropriate documented controls in place to meet market standards (including Principles of doing business at Lloyd’s and other regulatory requirements).
- Work closely with the underwriting teams, ensuring they are sufficiently supported to adhere to the Underwriting Governance framework.
- Oversee the adherence to underwriting controls and exceptions.
- Support and assist queries relating to underwriting procedures.
- Collate and maintain the underwriting exceptions ruleset.
- Ensure the IQUW exception rules are regularly reviewed and enhanced to met market and regulatory needs.
- Support the Senior Underwriting Management Technician in producing all relevant syndicate returns in accordance with the Lloyd’s regulatory reporting timetable.
- Support the production of meeting packs and timely reports in order to meet committee and other internal deadlines.
- Support the standards of Management Information (MI) required from the underwriting systems and make recommendations for improvements.
- Support the administration and issuance of underwriting licenses.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list and you may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties compatible with your experience and competencies. This description may be varied from time to time to reflect changing business requirements.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- 2 years’ experience in an underwriting or operations role, in a Lloyd’s Syndicate or Managing Agent.
- Knowledge of underwriting systems, management information and reporting.
- Awareness of the regulatory and compliance provisions that apply to IQUW’s insurance market.
- Excellent interpersonal skills which will allow you to build and maintain value adding relationships.
Desirable behavioural attributes
- Effective Communication Skills to demonstrate clarity of purpose which will give confidence to stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Excellent interpersonal skills which will allow you to build and maintain value adding relationships. You must be able to articulate what a mutually beneficial relationship looks like and be comfortable having difficult conversations.
- Knowledge of IQUW’s products, methods of trading and the operating models employed by our brokers.
- Understanding of the principles relating to risk management.
- Teamwork and leading by example.
- Planning and organising.
- Problem solving.
- Initiative and change.