Reporting to: Lead Underwriter, Property
IQUW is a speciality (re)insurer at Lloyd’s (Syndicate 1856) underwriting a diverse range of Property, Commercial and Speciality (re)insurance products from Cargo and Marine to Political Violence, Terror and War. We combine data, intelligent automation and human expertise to make smart decisions, fast.
The role of an Underwriter at IQUW is one which proves challenging yet truly rewarding. The role offers the opportunity to become a key member of a high-paced underwriting team within IQUW’s exciting new P&C operation.
The key to success in this role will be a highly detailed and analytical underwriting approach, strong relationship management and unparalleled sales skills, as well as strong organisational skills and the ability to think ahead and use initiative. You will need to thrive in a business development role and be able to demonstrate a skill for working with senior brokers/clients. You will need to take ownership of relationships and be confident these lead to profitable business.
- Work closely with the Lead Underwriter to deliver the underwriting strategy for your class of business.
- Underwrite all elements of the Property portfolio.
- Drive underwriting excellence across the Property book by ensuring adherence to risk appetite, lines setting, standards and guidelines, rating and pricing adequacy.
- Ensure high quality underwriting, appropriate exposure assessment, contractual terms and adherence to respective rules and guidelines.
- Assist with the development of the pricing models to support the underwriting/pricing of the portfolio
- Lead and develop close relationships with our partner brokers.
- Own the development of our underwriting appetite, constantly analysing the portfolio and modifying appetite accordingly.
- Develop business development initiatives to grow the portfolio profitably, where desired.
- Provide a compelling and knowledgeable service offering to brokers and clients, making IQUW a go-to Market for Property business.
- Help more junior members of the team to develop and hone their industry knowledge and underwriting acumen.
- Take responsibility for improving underwriting efficiency, particularly in terms of digitising placement process for homogenous risk groups.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list and you may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties compatible with your experience and competencies. This description may be varied from time to time to reflect changing business requirements.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- A proven track record of strong underwriting performance
- An excellent Market reputation across Property.
- An insatiable appetite to increase the profitability of the portfolio.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to deal comfortably with different types of people at all levels of seniority.
- Demonstrable experience of managing risks appropriately, applying judgement and being prepared to own and take responsibility for their decisions.
- Excellent Broker and Client relationships and the ability to develop business from a variety of sources.
- Experience in the use (and ideally the development) of online trading portals and/or other automated placement systems.
Desirable behavioural attributes
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Highly articulate and numerate
- Strong analytical skills
- A team player
- Innovative and able to generate creative solutions
- Highly organised clear ability to prioritise and deliver on allocated tasks
- Desire to provide excellent service and deliver appropriate outcomes