Are you an experienced Database Administrator?
Our Database administrators sit within the Technology Services Department and provide database support across the IQUW estate delivering an efficient and reliable environment. They develop, implement, maintain, and support our database systems.
Post holders will be required to attend the Swansea office for a minimum of 2 days per calendar month.
Reporting to the Head of IT Delivery your main responsibilities in the role will be to:
- Ensuring all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Testing backups to ensure we can meet the business' Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Troubleshooting SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Configuring SQL Server monitoring utilities to minimize false alarms
- Actively monitoring the SQL environment
- Automating routine/non-routine DBA tasks and contribute to driving efficiency gains within your area
What you’ll get in return:
- 25 days holiday
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Annual holiday buy (up to 3 extra days)
- Salary sacrifice benefits
- Annual benefits reviews
- Professional qualifications and study support
We'd like to hear from you, if you have:
- Experience in database development and support in MS SQL Server environments
- Strong experience in Database Administration in SQL Server (2008 - 2019)
- MCDBA / MCT certification
- Knowledge in a scripting language like Powershell, VBScript, WSH
- Effective Communication Skills
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU,memory,I/O, disk space and other resource contention
- Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication
- Experience performing DR tests
- A full Job Description can be seen here.