Are you looking for an opportunity where you can shape and develop a new team?
IQUW is a speciality (re)insurer at Lloyd’s (Syndicate 1856) underwriting a diverse range of Property, Commercial and Speciality (re)insurance products from Cargo and Marine to Political Violence, Terror and War. We combine data, intelligent automation and human expertise to make smart decisions, fast.
Reporting to the Exposure management Lead your main responsibilities in the role will be to:
- Understand, quantify, and manage exposure to future catastrophic loss events; steering the business to create a resilient and sustainable portfolio of insured risks.
- Develop and leverage tools that enable us to calculate appropriate premiums in cases when the historic record provides insufficient data.
- Collaborate with colleagues to calculate and enable efficient payment of claims after a large loss event such as a large Hurricane.
- Own and articulate our unique view of risk around Natural Hazards to both internal and external stakeholders.
The location for this role is our London office, we are currently trialling a mix of office and home working patterns at IQUW Group. During the selection process we will discuss indicative home / office patterns for this role.
We'd like to hear from you, if you:
- Hold a PhD (or MSc minimum) in atmospheric sciences, geophysics, engineering, physics, or a related field, demonstrating an ability to do independent research leading to new insights.
- Have a good understanding of how catastrophe loss models work and how/why they are built, preferably having experience working with commercial modelling software (e.g. AIR and RMS).
- Possess the ability for written and face-to-face communication at a range of technical levels.
- Are experienced working in Python, R, or a similar programming language. A demonstrated ability to develop tools to solve problems couldn’t be solved before.
- Have previous knowledge of insurance and reinsurance structures and business models. Knowledge of how exposure is managed within a (re)insurance company. Experience with any methods and software that are commonly used.
- Experience with relational databases and how to use SQL.
- Experience and knowledge of working with geographical data